Updating bigger installations

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other catagories :) (and of course is about Group-Office)

Moderator: Developers

einbruchschutz

Updating bigger installations

Postby einbruchschutz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi together,

we recently evaluated several solutions and finally found GO 8)

From another project, we know that in the beginning everything runs smooth, but with bigger database and file amount, most systems getting really slow.

How is this handled by GO?
Is it scalable?
Database maintenance?

:?:
peter_stirnberg

Re: Updating bigger installations

Postby peter_stirnberg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 am

Hi,

AFAIK you need to setup a cluster if your users go beyound a couple of thousands. We had no problem with databases around 500 MB (which is what you get with prox. 200 users about 6 years running the service) and files / emails around 500 GB on a single server (LAMP - Debian).
Nowerdays we prefer MariaDB and nginx (which is not supported by Intermesh but works).
Regarded to your username I suppose you're German. We're the German partner for GO and if you have further questions you can contact us (see https://group-office.com/partners).

Regards
Peter
einbruchschutz

Postby einbruchschutz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 am

Hello Peter,

first of all, no offence but we already have a "partner" who runs and supports Group Office since 2004 and maintains more and bigger installations than your company :wink:

We have seen an installation with 10 users and 2 GB database after 2 years of usage.
(yes, there are companies which use Group Office pretty extensive)

And therefore we are asking because we have seen ourselves how long a cache rebuild runs in this environment. 8)
peter_stirnberg

Postby peter_stirnberg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:27 am

Hi,

with databases such big and (presumable) lots of transactions, one should consider, whether to change DB to PostgreSQL.
I presume that you have MySQL server, PHP 5.x and Apache2 installed and MySQL is configured to max. performance? You get a great performance boost when changing to PHP7 and Nginx (and of course SSD HDs).
peter_stirnberg

Postby peter_stirnberg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 am

I've looked into this and I found, that MariaDB fine tuned would be faster then PostgreSQL which ist at least not supported by Intermesh and would be a pain in the ass to migrate to :twisted:

Return to “GroupOffice main discussion”