How to share Files using Permissions, Groups and Users ?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other catagories :) (and of course is about Group-Office)

Moderator: Developers

GoAlways

How to share Files using Permissions, Groups and Users ?

Postby GoAlways » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 pm

These are a few questions and ways that I believe that Group Office uses Groups and controls File Sharing, all which is quite different to how I am used to.

Is there away to configure users so that particular Users are not able to share their folders, but they and all other users are still able to access the folders shared by other specific users who are able to share folders? :?:

It seems that only the User who is sharing the folders has the ability to enable “Sharing” and to set permissions. I ask this as I would like a common shared area and to do this I am sharing a folder from the Administrator’s account and have found that only the Administrator can enable “Sharing” and set permissions on folders which User’s create in the Administrator’s shared folder or its subfolders, not the Users who created the folders. (Actually this could be to my advantage, as the administrator, I get to manage user access. The disadvantage is I get to do all the work).

Permissions are assigned to folders, but not to files. Access to files is controlled by controlling access to the folders. (True/False?)

It seems that to manage “Permissions” on each and every sub folder, you need to be a) the owner of the entire share, b) “Sharing” must be enabled individually on each and every sub folder. That is “Sharing” and “Permissions cannot be replicated down the folder tree (i.e. to child files and folders), they must be manually assigned to each folder. (this is a bit sad for me, as I have some 60 GB of files and folders in a Group Office 2.03 installation to import and then configure for file permissions, any hints on how to do this?) :?:

If “Sharing” is not enabled on a specific folder or its sub folders, then these folders all inherit the permissions of the first parent folder on which “Sharing” is enabled and permissions are set.
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to share Files using Permissions, Groups and Users ?

Postby mschering » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:11 am

In 3.6 you can set the permissions to "Manage" to allow management of the permissions. Permissions are also applied "Down the tree".
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
ayakovenko

Postby ayakovenko » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:33 am

I am join to the question and ehnance it

There is the simple structure:
1 Shared
11 Marketing
111 Offers
1111 Actual
1112 Old
12 Office
121 Workers
1211 Resume
1212 Vacations
1213 Forms
12131 statement
122 buying

Established user-groups for 11 - OM, for 12 - OF, there is also the groups OB and OSM. All groups have access to 1 Shared (it makes by Intermesh).

So, when I try to share 12131 for OM, the group OM sees 12131 like the folder in highest level WITHOUT structure. This method is useless, the name of the folder may be uninformative, such as 2011 (year)
"GoAlways" scribe above, as I understand, thas it need shared-action on each level of structure. When I give for OM read-only access to 121 and do nothing with 1213, the member of OM now sees 121, but content of 121 is blank: 12131 have not seen in 121 and not seen at the highest level

Now the question: how is right way to give shared access to the pieces of tree and hide another tree from concrete users and groups?
Is it need for share-action on each level of hierarchy?
How to inherit permissions from the parent, if to the child will be added the rules?
How do I copy a folder to save the permissions and shared access of it children in copy?
Where can I find doc`s about this? (http://docs.group-office.com/End+user/Files is not informative)
GoAlways

One method to share Files using Permissions, Groups and User

Postby GoAlways » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:53 am

Ayakovenko, I am not sure I fully understand what you are asking, however I hope my description helps. I can say that once you have started testing and trialing the Files module in Group Office you will find it powerful, I am very impressed how effective it can be.

It is my understanding is that once a folder is shared, the permissions on that folder apply to all sub folders and files, until you apply sharing to one of the sub folders, then the permissions you applied to this sub folder will then apply to its sub folders and files.

This is how I would do this;

To have a Company wide shared folder that is not tied to any one particular user's account, log in as the Group Group Office administrator account and create a folder in this accounts' "Personal" folder area, using the name of your company. For this example, "CompanyName" and then share this folder with "Read" permissions only, for either the "Everyone" group, or with a specific group created just for all company members, for example, a group name of "AllCompanyName".

Now set the below permissions as shown below;

Shared
. . . . |---CompanyName (Activate sharing and set group AllCompanyName and grant "Read" permissions)
. . . . . . . . |--- Marketing (Activate sharing and set Group OM to have full access, no other groups have access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Offers (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OM has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Actual (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OM has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Old (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OM has access)
. . . . . . . . |--- Office (Activate sharing and set Group OF and OM to have read access)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |---Workers (Activate sharing and set Group OF and OM to have read access)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . |---Resume (Activate sharing and set Group OF only to have access)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . |--- Worker1 (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OF has access)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . |---Vacations (Activate sharing and set Group OF only to have access)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . |---Forms (Activate sharing and setGroup OF only to have access)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . |---Statements (Activate sharing and set Group OF and OM to have full access)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |---Buying (Activate sharing and set Group OF only to have access)

I have tested the above and it worked for me, so does this answer your questions ?

1) Your question "how is right way to give shared access to the pieces of tree and hide another tree from concrete users and groups? " For each level which has permissions activated for two or more groups, if the sub folders are to have restrictions where some of these groups should not have access, then each of these subfolders also need permissions activated, specifying the permissions for each group. If anyone creates a new sub folder, then the parent folder's permissions will be effective and to change this behaviour, you would need to activate permissions on this new sub folder as well, specifying the required permissions for each group.

2) Your question "Is it need for share-action on each level of hierarchy? " The answer is 'Yes' if you want different permissions to the parent, you have to activate sharing and specify the different permissions. When you get used to this, it is very logical.

3) Your question "How to inherit permissions from the parent, if to the child will be added the rules? " I do not believe there is a way to do this. If you active sharing on a child folder (i.e. sub folder) you have to know what permissions you want to apply and "start from scratch", i.e. you have to add each permission, no permissions are copied over from the parent for you to then modify.

4) Your question "How do I copy a folder to save the permissions and shared access of it children in copy?" I don't believe that permissions or the "activated sharing" states are copied. Only the files and folders are copied, you have to reapply any sharing/permissions for the folders.

5) Your question "Where can I find doc`s about this?" I have not found a lot of documentation, mostly it is intuitive after you have created several test folders and tried it out. I have been using these two URLs as well as the one you mentioned; http://www.group-office.com/wiki/Files
http://www.group-office.com/wiki/Users, ... ermissions

I find Group Office very impressive. My challenge is to take the time to understand how it works then implement the most effective way of using it. My current recommendation would be to create a folder structure where you can keep the need for changes in permissions to a minimum, as an example;

Shared
. . . . |---CompanyName (Activate sharing and set group AllCompanyName and grant "Read" permissions)
. . . . . . . . |--- Marketing (Activate sharing and set Group OM to have full access, no other groups have access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Offers (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OM has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Actual (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OM has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Old (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OM has access)
. . . . . . . . |--- Office (Activate sharing and set Group OF to have full access, no other groups have access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Workers(no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OF has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |. . . . . . . . |---Resume (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OF has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |. . . . . . . . |--- Worker1 (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OF has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |. . . . . . . . |---Vacations (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OF has access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |. . . . . . . . |---Forms (Activate sharing and set Group OF only to have access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |---Buying (no need to active sharing, by inheritance only Group OF has access)
. . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . |--- Design (Activate sharing and set Group OD to have full access, no other groups have access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |--- Brouchures (Activate sharing and set Group OD only to have access)
. . . . . . . . |. . . . . |--- Images (Activate sharing and set Group OD only to have access)
. . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . |--- Statements - Marketing (Activate sharing and set Group OF and OM to have full access)
. . . . . . . . |--- Statements - Design (Activate sharing and set Group OF and OD to have full access)
. . . . . . . . |--- Statements - Company (Activate sharing and set Group OF to have full access)

I sure hope the above is of help to you.
ayakovenko

Postby ayakovenko » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:04 am

Thank You, GoAlways, for yours answer and elapsed time.
I find Group Office very impressive too, I like this system and using it for work in my company.
I write here is not for to gloat or to find flaws, but to figure out a way to adapt to our needs. I am Russian, and I please excuse me for any inaccuracies or possibly incorrect phrase on English.

>>>> so does this answer your questions ?
no, I have tried on their own do the actions, that You scribe about. They do not give the desired result. So I waiting a response from a developer who knows for sure (not through trial, like we) how it works and what needs to change
I repeat the meaninig and logic:
1) if I grant access to concrete user to folder for read on 5th level of hierarchy and he do not have any access on parent 2-3 levels, the folder is shared, but that user is seen this folder in the root of list his shared`s WITHOUT hierarchy (intermediate levels 2-3-4), that has no sense.
2) when I try to add some rules on the intermediate levels 2-3-4th, in list of shared resources for this user is appears the needed hierarchy BUT become visible the sibling neighbors of intermediate levels, that this user should not see and should not have any access to them.
3) Addind rules on each level on each target folder (include all its sibling) is solve the trouble, but follow this way to provide access to one folder for one user it is need to perform some few dozens of operations

Intermesh, is it planned behavior or something I do not understand?
GoAlways

Postby GoAlways » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Ayakovenko, thanks for your response, and while this may not help you, I believe that this is planned behavour. It is how Group Office works.

I do not think I have explained what I wanted to tell you, clearly enough for you to understand. Iapologise that I cannot speak Russian and so explain more clearly.