User module in read only mode.

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other catagories :) (and of course is about Group-Office)

Moderator: Developers

mana_s

User module in read only mode.

Postby mana_s » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:58 am

Hello,

I'm try to use user module in read only mode for general user.Because email users have to use address book for user/group.But user module in read only mode can insert/edit/delete other user/group same as manage mode.

Pls tell me if it's has the other solution for use users/groups address book.

Thanks,

Mana S.
rosetta
Group-Office Expert
Group-Office Expert

Re: User module in read only mode.

Postby rosetta » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 am

Currently "read only" permissions is not possible with the users module (like you have discovered). The users module is considered an "admin" module - and "read only" does not work as you expect.

When sending email users can choose to send to user groups (even if they have no access to the users module). But they only "see" the groups which they themselves are a member of. So a "secretary" won't be able to send emails to the "executive" group....

Possible workarounds:

1) Use "Address lists". In this case all GO users will also have to be entered in a address book.

2) If you use mailserverclient: Manually set up email aliases that goes to different users. ("group-executive@acme.com" etc.) Then create a faux person in GO with this email address. This is a pain to set up, and keep current - but it is how we have solved it in cases like this.
mana_s

Re: User module in read only mode.

Postby mana_s » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 am

eagle wrote:Currently "read only" permissions is not possible with the users module (like you have discovered). The users module is considered an "admin" module - and "read only" does not work as you expect.

When sending email users can choose to send to user groups (even if they have no access to the users module). But they only "see" the groups which they themselves are a member of. So a "secretary" won't be able to send emails to the "executive" group....

Possible workarounds:

1) Use "Address lists". In this case all GO users will also have to be entered in a address book.

2) If you use mailserverclient: Manually set up email aliases that goes to different users. ("group-executive@acme.com" etc.) Then create a faux person in GO with this email address. This is a pain to set up, and keep current - but it is how we have solved it in cases like this.

Thank you for your a both suggestion.

Now I use GO3.7.5 with LDAP and many users want to use email in LDAP.I know GO3 don't support LDAP address book.