access to a resrc, limited to the groups a user is a mmbr of

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other catagories :) (and of course is about Group-Office)

Moderator: Developers

peteinlux

access to a resrc, limited to the groups a user is a mmbr of

Postby peteinlux » Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Recently I asked my colleague at work who is not an GO administrator to create a folder tree structure and manage group acces permissions across it. Well, he can manage the folders structure, he can select to share certain folders, but whenever he wants to authorize a group to share a folder with, his choice is limited to the groups he is a member him self.

That's a huge limitation!!

What's interesting is that in the groups module, group editing dialog window has a switch "Only administrators may use this group to grant permissions to for example calendars." which by default is unchecked. I was expecting this would make the group invisible to everyone but administrators, but no....

Am I misunderstanding the logic behind the group permission management? Is there a solution around this other than granting this user administrative privileges?
rosetta
Group-Office Expert
Group-Office Expert

Re: access to a resrc, limited to the groups a user is a mmb

Postby rosetta » Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I think it is by design that a user can only see groups he is a member of.

Re. "Only administrators may use this group to grant permissions to for example calendars.", I wonder if perhaps there is a bug in GO - because users that are members of such groups can see that the group exists. I think groups that are switched with "admins only" should be invisible to regular users.