Z-push, Samsung and character encoding

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other catagories :) (and of course is about Group-Office)

Moderator: Developers

DanielMalmgren

Z-push, Samsung and character encoding

Postby DanielMalmgren » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi.
Today I upgraded z-push in our test environment to version 2. It works fine on most devices (much better than before), but this far we've found two devices on which all mails look strange. All non-ascii characters (in our case å, ä and ö since we're in Sweden) gets ugly (see attached screenshot). Both the devices with this problem are Samsung Galaxy S2, and both running Android 4.1.2. It works well on other Android devices, including my own CyanogenMod 10.0 phone which is also running Android 4.1.2, so I don't know if this is something Samsung specific? Also if I look in the z-push management console in GO all other devices says activesync version 14.0, the Galaxy phones says version 2.5.

I don't know if this is Samsung's fault, Z-push's or GroupOffice's, but I'm afraid we can't use z-push2 for any good with this problem.

/Daniel

edit: Sorry, forgot to mention the version. This is GO 4.1.43 and z-push 2.0.7.
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-03-12-16-13-50.png
Screenshot
Screenshot_2013-03-12-16-13-50.png (123.98 KiB) Viewed 6355 times
rosetta
Group-Office Expert
Group-Office Expert

Re: Z-push, Samsung and character encoding

Postby rosetta » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Daniel,

I use Z-push 2 and Galaxy S2, but my Z-push 2 managment console says that my S2 use AvctiveSync V14.

I have no problems with Norwegian characters on my S2.

Please let me know if you would like to test something - or if you would like to test with my GO.
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 pm

eagle wrote:Hi Daniel,

I use Z-push 2 and Galaxy S2, but my Z-push 2 managment console says that my S2 use AvctiveSync V14.

I have no problems with Norwegian characters on my S2.

Please let me know if you would like to test something - or if you would like to test with my GO.
Might be worth testing. I've set up an account for you, will send you a pm with login information.

/Daniel

edit: Could this in some way be related to server's locale? We use sv_SE.UTF-8 both on dovecot/postfix server and web servers.
rosetta
Group-Office Expert
Group-Office Expert

Postby rosetta » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Seems to work fine for me on your server...

Have you deleted the sync profile and set it up again on the phones?
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm

eagle wrote:Seems to work fine for me on your server...

Have you deleted the sync profile and set it up again on the phones?
Good question. I don't think that, have to check. IF that needs to be done for all our users it's a problem though...

/Daniel
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Ok. It seems eagle is right. Deleting the profile from the phone and recreating it fixes the problem. I guess the phone configures for exchange 2.5 if that's what the server supports (ie z-push 1) and then when the server is upgraded the phone still uses the old version and that gives problems.

Anyone knows if this is the same for all phones? Or even for all Androids? Good to know how much we need to inform our users about the upgrade, we have some hundred users syncing their devices with activesync.

/Daniel

edit: We've now tested back and forth between zpush1 and zpush2 with various devices. The conclusion so far seems to be that Android's own Activesync implementation is the only one that understands when the version on the server is upgraded. On devices with Samsungs Activesync and iOS devices we had to remove the sync profile and recreate it for the device to use Activesync 14. We're still trying to get hold of a device with Windows Phone to try with, one should think that Microsoft would manage this, after all they figured the protocol out :wink:
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 am

Then I guess we should warn that when you upgrade all users must be notified and instructed to recreate their profiles.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
rosetta
Group-Office Expert
Group-Office Expert

Postby rosetta » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:21 am

In Z-push admin module the version of Z-push is shown (together with device name etc).

How about a "fix" so that when GO discovers that a device is not using ActiveSync 14+, the sync is deactivated for that device.

Or perhaps even better - GO sends an email to the user telling him that he need to recreate his sync profile on his Samsung S2
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 am

eagle wrote:Or perhaps even better - GO sends an email to the user telling him that he need to recreate his sync profile on his Samsung S2
Yay! That would be ultimately cool! With a fix like that we wouldn't need to inform everyone, the ones with the problem would be informed anyway. If you do this, just make sure we can design the mail ourselves.

/Daniel
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 am

Just like to note that we are upgrading our production environment to GO 4.1.56 and z-push 2 this week. Since I haven't got any good feedback on how to reach out to my users I wrote a little command myself. Just in case anyone else needs it:

After people start syncing their devices using z-push 2 there will be a folder named zpush2state in the file_storage_path. Just cd into that directory and run

Code: Select all

grep -r \"asversion\"\;s:3:\"2.5\" *|grep -o "\"deviceuser\"\;s:[0-9]:\"[a-zA-Z0-9]*"|sed s/"\"deviceuser\";s:[0-9]:\""//g|sort|uniq
...and you will get a neat list of the users syncing with activesync 2.5. Just compose a mail to them telling them what to do and everything will be fine :D

(Oh, and probably there's some regex-guru out there who thinks I'm stupid and that this could be done much better. If so, I'm open for suggestions, I'm a regex newbie)

/Daniel

edit: Changed code slightly, it didn't catch all. Also added a pipe to a sort and an uniq on the end to make the output nicer :D
Last edited by DanielMalmgren on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:14 am

I'd just like to note that we've now upgraded our production GO environment to 4.1.54 and Zpush2 and this problem doesn't seem to be any problem at all. So I guess this is something that might have been a problem in earlier versions (like 4.1.43) but that's now fixed. The phones doesn't understand that they should now use Activesync 14, but the character encoding is correct anyway.

/Daniel
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 am

A new problem here. It has nothing with Samsung to do, but with Z-push and character encoding, so I'll just continue in the existing thread.

We've discovered that z-push 2 and GO doesn't work very well with Windows Phone 8.

Firstly the phone talks Activesync 2.5 to the server. We've tried removing the sync account and adding it again, but zpushadmin still says this particular phone uses 2.5.

Secondly if a mail is composed on the phone, than all åäö makes things very weird. For every such character in the mail, all the rest of the mail is repeated. The result is this:
?
Skickat frn min Windows Phone
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?

Skickat fr?n min Windows Phone
...and the source of the same mail is:

Code: Select all

--_=_swift_v4_1365664243516661f336706_=_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

?=F6=F6=F6=E4=E4=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Phone
?=F6=F6=E4=E4=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Phone?=F6=E4=E4=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Phon?=E4=E4=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Pho=
?=E4=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5
?=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Phone?=E5=E5=E5=E5=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Phon?=E5=E5=E5=E5
?=E5=E5=E5
?=E5=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Phone?=E5
Skickat fr=E5n min Windows Phon?

Skickat fr?n min Windows Phone
n min Windows Phone
This does NOT happen when replying to mails, only when composing a new mail on the phone.

Tell me if you want us to test anything more. I'm not really clear what the fault could be, but our theory is that the phone sends a mail in something like Windows-1252, and for some reason z-push wrongly interprets it as utf-8. Question is if this is an issue in z-push or in the GO backend?

Luckily out of 409 devices currently using our GO sync, only two are Windows Phone, so this isn't a very big issue.

/Daniel
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 pm

We're working on it!
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
DanielMalmgren

Postby DanielMalmgren » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Intermesh wrote:We're working on it!
I know this is only beta, it's all right :D

I'd like to say though, that for being beta it's very good. Seems to work allright for the rest of our users. Thumbs up!

/Daniel