New interface

Discuss everything about the next generation of GroupOffice.

Moderator: Developers

We're interested in what you think and what your pro's and con's are.

Responsive HTML5
57%
Extjs 6.0
43%

Total votes: 89
peguru

Re: New interface

Postby peguru » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:27 am

How about mobile device support in GO7? If we talk about using GO on smart phone (most general case) or tablet.
evancroby

Postby evancroby » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:07 am

For performance reasons, Ext JS Components do not have responsive features enabled by default, so to make a Component responsive you’ll need to use the responsive plugin. Add the responsive plugin to the class body to make all instances responsive, or add it to the instance config to enable responsiveness for a single Component instance:

plugins: 'responsive'

HTML5 contains JS Web Worker API which allows JavaScript and Browser interface to run in separate threads. A web worker is a JavaScript running in the background, without affecting the performance of the page. More about....HTML5

Evan
grooff

Postby grooff » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:53 am

Since GO7 will be HTML5, most mobile web browser will support it.
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:35 am

Here are some screenshots to show you the new interface we're working on:

Server modules.png
Server modules.png (135.45 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

Dashboard.png
Dashboard.png (65.51 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

Notifications.png
Notifications.png (152.04 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

Edit contact.png
Edit contact.png (118.77 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

Contacts.png
Contacts.png (118.18 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

Messages2.png
Messages2.png (153.28 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

year.png
year.png (95.84 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

week.png
week.png (44.14 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

agenda.png
agenda.png (78.47 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

caledit.png
caledit.png (45.02 KiB) Viewed 10750 times

month.png
month.png (59.48 KiB) Viewed 10750 times
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
vuo

Postby vuo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:32 pm

mschering wrote:Here are some screenshots to show you the new interface we're working on:

This is really sexy!!
Thanks for sharing, can't wait to test it!
grooff

Postby grooff » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 pm

It look very white and empty. I hope the interface isn't the only thing being worked on.

How feature is it compare to the current version? Will we be expecting new feature, or will it only support new platform (mobile) with less feature?
mcharvat

Postby mcharvat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:04 am

I'm afraid you will get what you see - new UI with responsive layout with less or same functionality. PHP 7 + new libraries are already implemented in 6.2 branch so for brain free user the big change will be new UI. Developers obtain new REST API.

Group Office lost many users because there weren't big changes for 3-4 years? People simply moved to different platform which already includes responsive or mobile application and hundreds modules so you can simply set up your business. In short big changes (for users) were in 4.x branch. 5.x brings just new UI and 3rd party libraries and 6.x replaced project module and nearly implemented new license model where you pay for the module not whole Group Office. It could open the door to other developers because all modules could be at one place but 6.1 return back to old license model. Of course there were a lot of bug fixes and minor improvements but except holidays module nothing big for end users.

That is pity but that is true. I know companies who simply changed CRM because GO stopped in time. Why should you pay for support when 4.x branch was more stable and had similar functionality like 5.x or 6.x? Why change projects module when old one was suitable for you and you have no option to stay with old. Changes are needed however your should have always option to choose. For many users is CRM bad word and when you change the flow or UI? They will try kill you :)

Anyway we can only hope for the future :) My information about new UI are 7 months old so maybe there will be something special for us.
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:39 pm

I agree that Group-Office is getting old and needs a refreshment. But that is exactly what we're working on.

I don't agree that 6.1 is less stable than the 4 branch. It has the same modules but they're all more feature rich and more stable.

The first GO 7 release will have less features then the 6.1 because it's impossible to do this at once. We will continue to develop the 6.x branches while GO7 will become more mature and do everything better than before.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh
grooff

Postby grooff » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:53 pm

It sound great to see that Group Office has not been abandon and still have developer working on it. It is always sad to see project die because of reason list in above post.

Slowly improving GO7 is a necessary strategy to ensure it release. Plan, milestone and goal need to be discuss early so that a clear direction and vision is known before it is too late.

Until a "Beta" or release version it is too early to speculate and criticize. Based on the screenshot, I just felt that is it too white for my liking. Here hoping to a "Night" or "Dark" version ahead. There is always "Userstyles" but GO community is far too small for that.
fhdeggendorf

Postby fhdeggendorf » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:11 am

We use GroupOffice (GO) mainly as a groupware server (webmail, calendars, address books). I think GO 6.2 is the most reliable and mature software for this purpose. It has become more and more RFC-compliant (concerning ical, caldav and carddav). Using various clients (DAVdroid, CalDavSynchronizer, Exchange ActiveSync, Mozilla Lightning) for accessing or editing events and contacts is not a problem anymore. Furthermore, the webinterface works perfect now. A lot of annoying bugs were fixed during the last years and new useful features were implemented (e.g. advanced editor for sieve scripts in webmail). Our users are really happy with GO. Thanks Intermesh!
peter_stirnberg

Postby peter_stirnberg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:15 am

Anything new? Shouldn't a first version be available in autumn 2016?
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:24 am

We're working on a roadmap. I've attached a pdf roadmap:
Roadmap GO7.odt.pdf
(48.69 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh
don

Postby don » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi

We're using GO as a crm. So it is for us more important to have a support for multiple screens. Tablets are not very important right now for us.

So a multi-window system would be a great solution. Now we have sometimes more than one login on different browser-windows. But actually, if the pop-up windows would be standalone windows, that would be a great feature.
Best regards,
Don
fhdeggendorf

Postby fhdeggendorf » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:36 pm

don wrote:We're using GO as a crm.

Your posting shows that GO has actually evolved to a "Jack of all trades". It tries hard to fulfill many needs, but it lacks to be a master of one. E. g. you may use it as a file hosting service too, like ownCloud, but you still have no client for Windows or Android.
eversongj

Postby eversongj » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:05 am

I would like to know how the development of the new version is.

Will you have availability of customfield modules and tickets?

Return to “GroupOffice 7.0”