3.5 about to be released

Read important announcements about Group-Office here

Moderator: Developers

mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3.5 about to be released

Postby mschering » Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 am

I think a interface to configure fetchmail to pop it into the main IMAP mailbox would be better then implementing pop for the webmail.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
colinjack

Postby colinjack » Fri May 21, 2010 11:51 am

Possibly ... our issue is that with the BlueOnyx install we have GroupOffice sitting on top of the existing system system rather than integrated into it. We need to avoid duplicating email and wasting space.

On our servers we have to create a user on the BlueOnyx box and then create another user in GroupOffice and set it to POP the BlueOnyx mailbox. With the Debian or Ubuntu install of GO you probably only have one user folder? I think this is why the confusion.

Could you not just have a POP3 download module as an option in GroupOffice?
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Mon May 24, 2010 9:36 am

I still don't understand why you connect to the blueonyx box with pop-3. Why don't you connect with IMAP and setup fetchmail on the blueonyx box to pull those external pop3 boxes in?
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh
colinjack

Postby colinjack » Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 am

I need users to be able to set up to collect from their individual accounts from within GroupOffice. I can't re-configure fetchmail everytime an existing user wants to collect mail from an account on another server. Much easier to give them admin rights to email in GO and they can add/delete/manage their POP3 connections as they want.

Example:

You run a hosted service at group-office.com. If you had 3.5 running on there and I was a subscriber and wanted to combine my email accounts on the internet and use them in GO, how would I do it? Do I contact you everytime and ask you to make fetchmail changes? Assume that my other providers only allow a small mailbox, so I cannot leave email on their servers. I have been using POP3 to download to my PC, now I want to use your hosted GroupOffice.

Regards

Colin
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Mon May 24, 2010 10:04 am

We are not going to code a pop3 library. It's simply very inefficient for webmail. What we can do is code a fetchmail interface so you can setup pop3 accounts to be imported into a local imap account. Would that work for you?
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh
colinjack

Postby colinjack » Mon May 24, 2010 10:20 am

In principle that should work. Would this be available to GO users through the GroupOffice login?

Thanks

Colin
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Yes, that's the idea. I'll schedule it.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh

Return to “Announcements”