Assignment of a task to multiple users

Are you missing a feature in Group-Office. You can always try to request it!

Moderator: Developers

riko

Assignment of a task to multiple users

Postby riko » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:06 am

Hi all.

I was wondering wether there would be any way to assign a task to more than one user. The reason why i'm asking that is the following:

In my business (a City Hall), there are a lot of departments, and sometimes it's very hard to know which workers are the responsables of certain task. Usually there is more than one person assigned to certain responsibility, and it would be really useful to be able to search for a task, and see who are the people assigned to that task.

i.e.:
1.- Mark, John and Peter are responsables to manage the tennis court.
2.- Someone comes to the City Hall who wants to use the tennis court.
3.- The secretary (who doesn't know who manages the tennis court) could search in tasks "tennis court" and see that Mark, John and Peter are the responsables to manage the tennis court, so she can redirect that person to anyone of them.

More generally, in a business it's very usual that a task is done by more than one worker (in collaboration), and it would be quite useful for both of them to be assigned to the same task. In the other way, like in the example, it could be easily known who are working in that task by searching for that task in Group-Office.

Hope you like the idea.

Best Regards.
riko

Re: Assignment of a task to multiple users

Postby riko » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Now i've seen that maybe it could be done by using links between tasks and users.

So, when creating a task, it could be linked to all users involved in it. Then, if someone wants to know who is responsible to do a task, looking at the linked users he could know it.

Maybe it's not a very intuitive way, but it can do the job by now.

Best Regards.
Exxodos

Postby Exxodos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:18 am

Hey,

I stumbled over this thread because I'm looking for a similar solution ;-)
In your case I guess it would be easier to add the persons into the address-book and add the responsibilities in the "function" field in the "work" section, so you can search for it in the adress book.

Your way seems a bit complicated ;-)

Regards,
Exxodos
mbach

Postby mbach » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:11 pm

But that does not solve the problem, that you do not know at the moment, who is responsible for the task (that is not always the one, who started it...) and who has to do/fullfil the task.

Mmmh, there are so many task software solutions outside - why not have a look inside those solutions and make the task app more useful.
Sometimes I cannot understand those failures...

Markus
webwolfi

Postby webwolfi » Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 am

you can have more than one tasklist, and you can have tasklists for groups ans projects.

(you can even sync more than one tasklist)

another solution is to use the ticket module.
gregoire

Postby gregoire » Fri May 06, 2011 2:06 am

Something like participants maybe?
mbach

Postby mbach » Fri May 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Yes, something like participants.
But maybe even something more...

Participcants: Can get Status-Update-Emails
Operator: who will do the task
Operator(s) will have the task in their peronal task list.
person in charge: Who is responsible for this task or even a subset of tasks.

Cheers, Markus
Mikeyy

Postby Mikeyy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 pm

We have same problem, but we are interested in automatic assignment (copy or move) of tasks/calendar entries.
Basicly, we would like to have extra module, which would scan all new and newly synced tasks/calendar entries and if it finds certain tag it copies or moves task/calendar entry to that user.

This way managers would be able to enter tasks on their mobile phones with key words (tags) for certain users and task would be automatically copied to that user task list. You can assign same tag to more then one user, this way you automatically assign task to more users.
stephanstricker

Postby stephanstricker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi,
I have the same issue. I would like to assign task to me and then delegate it to somebody else. I would still like to see
the task in my tasklist so I don't have to track every task down that I delegated. I could link myself to a task but I don't
really see how this would help. Can switch to a view where I see all tasks that are linked to me?

Stephan
rosetta
Group-Office Expert
Group-Office Expert

Postby rosetta » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Instead of simply moving the task to your colleauges task list you could do the following:

1. From the right panel displaying the original task, select New > Task.

2. This new task you assign to your colleague. Set the status of the original task to "Delegated". There will be a link between those tasks, and you will be able to monitor the delegated task.

Just a suggestion...
mbach

Postby mbach » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Linking of tasks, and especially contacts, would be a really needed feature.

I see so many discussions in this forum about linking, syncing or however you want to call it.

Would be happy to get some real feedback by Merijn/Intermesh to discuss this feature more intensively.
I think, that would be also interesting for other PRO-users, as e.g. we need more features while growing with the company.
And to be honest, it seems a little bit, that GO does not develop with the same speed, as it was developing months before......

Cheers, Markus
stephanstricker

Postby stephanstricker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:50 pm

mbach wrote:Linking of tasks, and especially contacts, would be a really needed feature.

I see so many discussions in this forum about linking, syncing or however you want to call it.

Would be happy to get some real feedback by Merijn/Intermesh to discuss this feature more intensively.
I think, that would be also interesting for other PRO-users, as e.g. we need more features while growing with the company.
And to be honest, it seems a little bit, that GO does not develop with the same speed, as it was developing months before......

Cheers, Markus
Agree, any response from the GO team would be appreciated.

Stephan
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:34 am

We are developing with greater speed. But we are in the middle of a complete rewrite of the backend PHP code. This will take until the end of the year. No new features will be implemented until the beginning of the next year.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
gregoire

Postby gregoire » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Bump.
gregoire

Postby gregoire » Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 am

And bump again. Hopefully this will be looked at. I have posted and rethought many options, removed my posts several times (I'm sorry about that, it makes me seem like a spammer which I am not) and this feature would be a real addition.