Email Reminders & Notifications

Get help from the community here.

Moderator: Developers

Rockyuk

Email Reminders & Notifications

Postby Rockyuk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have email reminders setup for tasks, calendar appointments etc? If so how did you get it to work as i have successfully setup the cron but i am not receiving any notifications?

Thanks

Rockyuk
Hoschi

Re: Email Reminders & Notifications

Postby Hoschi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Rockyuk,
I'm using GO for 2 weks now and I finally was able to successfully set up the reminders.
I have GO installed on some shared webspace at my hosting provider. In GO I'm using IMAP authentication for the users.

For the reminders to work properly you need to set up a cron job on the server/webspace itself. On my webspace I can do this in the PLESK Control Panel, but be aware that not every hosting provider offers cron jobs for every webspace...
I set up the cron to run every minute: * * * * *
Additionally you need to setup a cron job in GO! This can be done via Menu "Manage System tasks". If not already installed you need to add a scheduler called "Task and Calendar Reminder".
This one I set up to run every 5 minutes: */5 * * * *

Then I edited the config-php file inside the GO root and added the following code:

Code: Select all

$config["noreply_email"]='automail@mydomain.tld';

And that one gave me a headache because it always threw exceptions when the schedulers tries to send out mails. I still don't know why but I cannot use existing mail addresses for the noreply_email parameter. This was what I did at first, creating a new email account and assign this address here in the config file.
But then I accidentally used some address that didn't exist for my domain and it instantly worked. :shock:

At least, you have to assign some user settings for every new user. To do so, goto the user manager (as admin), open the (normal) user, select and doubleclick the user you want to receive reminders, goto tabpage "Look & Feel" and set the option "Mail reminders". Save the changes.

Now, if you create a new appointment and type in a value for the reminder minutes (--> Appointment, tabpage Options) it should work.

Because the server level cron calls the GO cron(s) it may be that there will be a little delay of one minute or so before the reminder mail is sent out. Actually I'm experimenting with the parameter

Code: Select all

$config["checker_interval"]='60';

in config.php. Standard value is 120, I reduced that to 60 secs. Not sure about the effects, still need to check...

best of luck
Andreas
Rockyuk

Re: Email Reminders & Notifications

Postby Rockyuk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi Andreas,
Thankyou very much for the info you posted, i will update my GO with the information you provided and let you know how i get it.

Thanks

Rockyuk

Return to “General help”