Booking Hours in new Projects module

Discuss about Group-Office development here

Moderator: Developers

richarddodd

Booking Hours in new Projects module

Postby richarddodd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi

I've just been using the new projects module, and I end up with a lot of red entries, because I have set the budgeted hours to 0.

I think it would be better to have "0.00" and "empty" as 2 distinct values, and then for 'empty' budgets just record them as always in budget. This would allow time recording when you just want a record of time spent, rather than actually allocating budgets.

Also, I've noticed that the "add" dialog for time entries includes a 'start' and 'end' time, but the data in the db is just 'amount' (so it loses some info). Do you think in future it will store a start and end time, or just an 'amount'?

What do you think?
Rich
richarddodd

Re: Booking Hours in new Projects module

Postby richarddodd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:22 pm

I would store `date` (date), `date_start` (datetime) and `date_length` (datetime delta) in the database.

Then `date_end` = `date_start` + `date_length` can be derrived, but also `date_start` can be omitted and just the date, and amount (date_length) can be recorded. This covers both use cases you have as I understand it.

When date_start is specified, date would be redundant, and could be set to date_start with time discarded or just NULL.
richarddodd

Postby richarddodd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Aah I see that's what you're already doing. :)

In that case my question is: "what's the difference between 'units' and 'duration'?"
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:46 am

Units is auto calculated and is there for backwards compatibility. So just set duration.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
richarddodd

Postby richarddodd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 am

Return to “Development Chats”