No not interested
12%

Total votes: 26
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are the products useful?

Postby mschering » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:53 pm

I was just wondering if people find the products on group-office.com useful.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering
Intermesh
maik

Too expensive?

Postby maik » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:27 pm

Actually I do not know the price because I haven't signed up...can someone tell me?

Thanx maik
mejohn

Postby mejohn » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:36 pm

I think the products would be very handy optional extras to have but the pricing and packaging is a big turn off for me. I might not ever have more than two people using a particular product but I dislike the tiered pricing system.

I'd like it if it was just unlimited users because then I just don't have think about it. Make it easy for us then we'll spend. I feel the pricing is too high as well. At those prices you have to really justify the expenditure. If they were cheaper I'm sure you'd ship many many more units - I know I'd buy all three modules.

I do think its a really good idea to sell some modules that extend the functionality of the free/open source version - I hope it helps Intermesh financially and I also hope it helps the development of GO.

Just my 2 cents...
mejohn

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:13 pm

mejohn wrote:I think the products would be very handy optional extras to have but the pricing and packaging is a big turn off for me. I might not ever have more than two people using a particular product but I dislike the tiered pricing system.

I'd like it if it was just unlimited users because then I just don't have think about it. Make it easy for us then we'll spend. I feel the pricing is too high as well. At those prices you have to really justify the expenditure. If they were cheaper I'm sure you'd ship many many more units - I know I'd buy all three modules.

I do think its a really good idea to sell some modules that extend the functionality of the free/open source version - I hope it helps Intermesh financially and I also hope it helps the development of GO.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree, I would buy the professional right now if it was under $100 just for the synching with the Pocket PC. Maybe you should sell the synching par for like $30 - $50, because that is the one piece I really want.
dkittell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dkittell » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:26 pm

Not a bad idea
David Kittell
Owner / Developer
Kittell.net
ericliang

Postby ericliang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:39 am

Lower pricing for Pro version would definately allow more people to purchase. 99 EUR seems reasonable.

Perhaps you can make this an one time promotion for a month or so and see how many people will buy. If many people buy, then they wanted a lower price (together with the time limiting anxiety a promotion creates to people's mind). If a lot more people buy the promo price then I think you should consider lowering the price.

My opinion is that 99 EUR is a nice price for the SYNC system and many people would buy it. Perhaps you could set 99 EUR for up to 500 accounts or something and 199 EUR for unlimited. Or have the 99 EUR as promo only for 500 accounts and have it on every new version (for the new version and up to 500 accounts for the next 15 days there is a promo price of 99 EUR).

If your question was regarding the services (installation - support) then I think they should exist.

These are just ideas. You have to evaluate how your customers respond.

My only serious recommendation is to PLEASE add Zend to encoding methods and try to avoid IonCube if you can!
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:04 am

I think 199 euro is reasonable. But a promo time sounds good.

Why should I avoid Ioncube?
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh
lonesomewalker

Postby lonesomewalker » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:30 am

I think, one of the biggest problem for making a decision is:

Why the hell is the :arrow: whole GO encrypted :?:

Isn't it possible, just to encrypt the sync function, and let the whole other modules exist like they are in community version?

I got now 2 clients, which think about buying the Pro version (no matter about the price) but they have a problem with the price of support!

Every time they want to change something about code related, they have to contact you :!:

No matter how cheap your support will be, it will definitely NOT beat a programmer, which already exists in a company :!:

Okay, it definitely will get more interesting if you reduce the price for a certain period of time :wink:

But the biggest problem i have with my clients is:

"Oh, we have to get the support, if we use this solution?"
-> Yepp.
"Isn't it possible that Mr. X just rewrites taht module for our needs?"
-> No. The modules are encrypted, so nobody can steal the code.
"Oh, and how much will the cost of the changes be?"
-> That depends on the changes which are wanted.
"Oh..."

And i've never heard something again... :cry:
ericliang

Postby ericliang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:33 am

To be honest I prefer 199 EUR than 99 EUR as long as people buy it on good qty. It's best to have a company funded and alive than a company and a project dead :-) My comment was on another person's reply and your initial post.

re: encoding, I have only bad experience with Ioncube - perhaps it's me... I don't know. But I definately prefer Zend (it's a PHP people product also) to Ioncube.

Zend suite for small companies is not very expensive and it's much better I think. Or perhaps I have just had bad experience with Ioncube.
ericliang

Postby ericliang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:36 am

Lonesome Walker wrote:I think, one of the biggest problem for making a decision is:

Why the hell is the :arrow: whole GO encrypted :?:

These modules are encrypted only:

Sync4GO (Two-way synchronization)
The template and newsletter system
Custom fields for the addressbook

I don't think it's such a big deal.
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:19 am

Yes you can just use the Community version to modify GO Pro.

You can overwrite the encrypted pro version with the community files and only the 3 things above will remain encrypted as you can read here:

http://www.group-office.com/index.php?folder_id=264&file_id=418
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh
lonesomewalker

Postby lonesomewalker » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:29 am

Hm, it wasn't that clear to me (also to my clients), because this table shows the content of the pro version; also the text is a bit irritating.

That means, i buy the pro, and who installs it on my server?

Intermesh? Me?

Another question is:

Is it possible to translate the page of groupoffice.com to german?
I have so many clients here which like GO for personal use (i.e. their own private homepage, and they think about using it in their office too!

The only problem: most of them doesn't speak english that good.
So i always get a call. But i'm not the support line of GO.
I like open source, but i can't give away many hours/month for free.
I have my own company...

I also like the community, therefore i'm thinking about opening a german board, where the common language is german.
There are so many people here from germany...

All i want to say:

I don't want to earn money by selling GO,
i just want to get paid for my services :!:
Therefore, i'll give the webspace and traffic for a german forum.
(of course for free, open source is always free)

PS: Didn't i write Merijn an email... :?:

Zend suite for small companies is not very expensive and it's much better I think. Or perhaps I have just had bad experience with Ioncube.

No, you're not the only one; i tested it for my own, Zend gives better/faster output (okay, some miliseconds, but more users, more load...)
mschering
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mschering » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:55 am

Please discuss this with Georg. He has www.group-office.de. There is also www.group-office.at in German.
Best regards,

Merijn Schering

Intermesh
lonesomewalker

Postby lonesomewalker » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:03 pm

Right, forgot that Georg has done the templates!
:arrow: :oops:

Okay, i'll give it a try.

Lesson

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:36 am

dkittell wrote:Not a bad idea

I've learned my lesson about "a", that's for sure.

Return to “Webshop products”