IMAP telnet authentication failed (User)

Get help from the community here.

Moderator: Developers

ikxchan

IMAP telnet authentication failed (User)

Postby ikxchan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:40 am

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and thank you for looking at this post.

Background
To start with, I am not on the server side, but an ordinary user. As a result, I can only have limited access to the server’s settings etc. Further, unfortunately, I have zero technical background, so I would ask for your kind indulgence...

(Whereas my company recently assigned me with a work email, the person responsible for it does not have time to entertain requests, so I turn to this forum for help.)

Problem

I can access my email fine with the GUI (via browser), which uses Group Office.

However, I am unable to use IMAP clients like Outlook, iOS, etc.

I have tried to use telnet (on Mac) to connect to the IMAP server. That was successful, and dovecot was ready.

However, when I tried to login by the "? LOGIN username@domain password" command, it returns "? NO authentication failed."

That is the main issue.

Discussion

Although I have zero knowledge in IMAP server and group-office, I was wondering whether this may be related to (i)
the username or password contains special characters, (ii) somehow my email is set to be accessible by the GUI only.

As to (i), the capability command returns:
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN

As to (ii), my username contains an "_", and my password contains an "!" (required to have at least one special character).

The "username", by the way, is not the one I logon to the Group Office web GUI, but the username shown inside the GUI (in Email → Administration → "host").

Any idea as to what I can do, please?

Many thanks in advance

Return to “General help”